Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Doctor v. G.I. Joe

During the Superbowl the ad for the new GI Joe movie was debuted. I hadn't realized till now that Destro was going to be played by the 9th Doctor. I have a dilemma now, who do I root for in this movie?

Sure, I used to love GI Joe when I was a kid. Had a box full of the action figures (some of them even in one piece) and I watched the show (I can't count how many times I've said, "because knowing is half the battle"). And I've only recently started watching Doctor Who and I've only just now seen all the shows that the 9th Doctor was in (I started on David Tennant and as they say, you never forget your first Doctor). I know, I really should be rooting for GI Joe. I mean, they're from my childhood and they're the good guys in the movie. I do, however, think I've found a way to rationalize rooting for the bad guys.

First, this isn't really GI Joe. I mean, sure, they have the names and the characters are based off of the cartoon, but its a huge Hollywood blockbuster instead of the extended commercial for GI Joe related toys that I used to love so much. I mean, this is GI Joe but only in the same way that Michael Jackson is the same little kid from the Jackson 5. Second, it is specifically stated in the previews that this elite squad answers to no governmental agency. How does that make them any better than Cobra? Sure, they fight on the "good" side but if they answer to no one, who decides good? Third, the whole GI Joe v. Cobra fight never seemed terribly fair to me. I mean all those years and Cobra never won once. Even the Washington Generals squeaked one out a few years back. America loves an underdog (unless its voiced by Jason Lee) and who is really the underdog here the ultra secret government organization that can afford combat suits that seem like they can fly or the hapless bad guys who couldn't beat up Glass Joe from Knock Out!? And finally, seriously, I can't root against the Doctor (seriously, once I found out that David Tennant had played a bad guy in Harry Potter I started rooting for the one who shall not be named).

Also, I loved the new Trek trailer, but that's a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment