Friday, January 23, 2009

Whose is cleaning up this mess?

At the end of The Dark Knight, did Commissioner Gordon really need to smash the Bat-Signal? Couldn't he have just asked the maintenance crew to take it down? I know it made for an awesome scene, but what poor minimum-wage-making guy has to clean up all that glass?

My questions about The Dark Knight aside, I have to say I'm slightly disappointed that the film got no Oscar attention beyond the obvious and self-serving nomination for Heath Ledger (the producers of the show are probably already salivating at the ratings that award could draw). I was upset when I first heard the news, but now I don't really care. I loved that movie. I still love that movie. Seeing TDK on IMAX was the best in theatre viewing experience I've ever had. What do I care what people in Hollywood think of the movie? Their opinion means nothing, really. TDK won all the award it needed to this year when people paid half a billion dollars to go see it. Plenty of great movies never got little gold statues because they happened to have something the academy doesn't think makes for a serious movie. That's fine, they can feel free to touch themselves while the watch the plodding, nothing new, Benjamin Button movie. Seriously, 13 nominations for Forest Gump II: No Mental Disability this Time?

Several other issues with the Oscar nominations: Did people already have Robert Downey Jr. down for an Oscar nod in that movie where he helps a helpless musician and then when that movie got pushed they were too lazy to think of someone else so they just crossed that movie out and wrote Tropic Thunder? I mean, that was a good role in a funny movie, but Oscar worthy? Really? Another thing, I hear that Kate Winslet, if she wins the Oscar, will be winning for both her roles this year, instead of just the one she's nominated for. Is that really fair? What about that year Jude Law released like 6 movies, shouldn't he have gotten an Oscar nod for all those preformances added up? I'm not one of those people who says that the Academy needs to pick movies that everyone saw, but can you really argue that all 5 of the nominations were better movies than Wall-E? Just because you created an animated category doesn't mean you can't honor that movie as one of the year's best. I'm just saying.

1 comment:

  1. I liked Benjamin Button, thank you. What's up with the sudden popularity of bashing Button? What's that rolling past the particularly well-done film that only got passed over due to the multitude of fantastic films this year? Oh yes, it's the bandwagon.

    But you're right about Downey, Jr. Tropic Thunder does not need an Oscar nod. It really wasn't that good. But, you put a white man in black face who's good at characters, and apparently that's an awe-inspiring performance. Other roles that are Oscar shoe-ins? Straight men playing gay, and pretty women playing ugly. Done. Put a stamp on it.

    That year, Jude Law released Alfie, I Heart Huckabees, and Closer. No Oscar nom for him. Sky Captain was visually stunning, but everyone hated it. I can't say anything about Aviator, having never seen it. Being completely overhyped, though, I'm not excited to.

    Wall-E needs to win for best film. No, rather, The Dark Knight. Because those were truly the best films of last year. And that may be my opinion, but what are the Oscars other than opinion? I defy you to pick one of those movies nominated and say its cast did a better job than ALL the people in TDK. Defy you.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete